Decisions made by the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia on the registration of political parties
One of the main functions of the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia is to support, supervise and monitor political parties.
As a result, it has been monitoring the parties’ compliance with various requirements in accordance with the Electoral and Political Parties Proclamation No. 1162/2011.
Accordingly, it is to be recalled that it has already announced the list of parties that have already met the criteria and have completed their registration.
The Board has issued the following decisions regarding parties that have not previously made a decision and that have provided the requested explanations.
1. The Board confirmed the involvement of the party in the violence by providing statements and official facts to determine whether the Tigray People’s Liberation Front (TPLF) was involved in the riots. He also tried to contact a former representative of the party’s Addis Ababa office, who had been working as a liaison between the party and the board, to give him a chance to respond, but he could not represent the party. Therefore:
A. Pursuant to Article 98 (1/4) of Proclamation 1162/2011, the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia has revoked the legal personality of the party. Pursuant to Article 99 of the Proclamation, it also ruled that party officials could not act on behalf of the party.
B. The Board requested that the FDRE Attorney General send in details of the TPLF’s movable and immovable property registered in the investigation of the party and its leaders.
C. In accordance with Article 99 (2) of Proclamation 1162/2011, the property of the party shall be cleared and the debt should be used as a cover for the debt. However, Bor decided that the remaining funds and assets should be used for education for citizens and voters in accordance with Article 99 (3) of this Proclamation.
2. The Board instructed the three parties operating in the Tigray National Regional State to provide information on their activities before making further decisions based on information provided by the Board’s Tigray Branch Office.
The ordered parties are as follows.
A. “Asimba Democratic Party (ADP)” – Participating in the Tigray National Regional State’s Illegal Elections while Registering with the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia
B. “National Baito Abay Tigray (Baitona)” – The National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) has received information from the Board that it participated in the illegal election in the Tigray National Regional State during the registration process.
C. “Salsai Weyane Tigray (Sawat)” – The Board received information that the National Electoral Board of Ethiopia (NEBE) participated in the illegal elections held in the Tigray National Regional State during the registration process and that the party leaders were involved in riots.
3. የቅንጅት ለአንድነትና ለዲሞክራሲ founding the members of the Coalition for Unity and Democracy (CUD) on the list of founding members of the party has raised serious doubts about its veracity. It is recalled that the Board referred the matter to the Federal Police Commission.
According to the Federal Police Commission, 1145 founding members of the Somali region, 72 founding members of the Afar region, 23 founding members of the Oromia region, and The city administration said in a statement that it had found out that a total of 1298 founding members were not present at the address.
Therefore, in accordance with Article 98 (1) (e) of Proclamation 1162/2011, it was decided to cancel the Coalition for Unity and Democracy Party. The case is being prosecuted by the prosecutor.
4. The Board has decided on the following of the parties that have not been finalized in the process of verifying various points or submitting documents.
A. Parties whose registration has been completed and whose registration has been approved by providing adequate explanation
• ኅብር ኢትዮጵያ ዴሞክራሲያዊ ፓርቲ – 43%
• ሐረሪ ዴሞክራሲያዊ ድርጅት /ሐዲድ/
• የመላው ኢትዮጵያዊያን አንድነት ድርጅት (መኢአድ) – 62%
B. Some of the political parties that have completed the vetting process but have not completed the technical requirements
• ህዳሴ ፓርቲ /ሕዳሴ/ – 100%
•የካፋ ህዝቦች ዴሞክራሲያዊ ኅብረት /ካሕዴኅ/ – 71%
• የሲዳማ አንድነት ፓርቲ /ሲአፓ/ – 85%
C. Cancelled Because of delaying on modification of documents in accordance with the recommendation of the Board
• የጉሙዝ ሕዝብ ዴሞክራሲያዊ ንቅናቄ /ጉሕዴን/
D. Further clarification requested from Addis Ababa University Department of Ethnography regarding their log issue
• Rayarauma Party
5. In addition, the Board announces that only 52 political parties are eligible to participate in the 6th National Election. Announces that the parties that have been approved to participate have completed the process so far.
National Electoral Board of Ethiopia
January 10, 2013