Education in Emergency (EiE) – Project Manager
Job by Link Education International
Category: Development and Project Management, Education, Social Sciences and Community
Location: Afar, Somali, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz and Oromia, Amhara
Career Level: Managerial Level (Manager, Supervisor, Director)
Employment Type: Contract Salary:
ABOUT LINK COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT
Link Education Ethiopia is part of Link Education International (LEI), a family of not for profit organisations working together to transform education for children and communities across impoverished areas of Ethiopia, Malawi, Rwanda and Uganda. Since our foundation in 1995 we have worked in 3,000 schools and improved the lives of over 2,000,000 children through unique and effective school improvement models. We guide governments and educators to adopt low-cost solutions to improve learning and support for children, with a focus on literacy, numeracy and inclusion for the most vulnerable children. Through a partnership delivery model which embeds piloting and learning within local systems, we influence changes to policy, practice and accountability on a national scale, and our interventions are regularly adapted and replicated by governments and NGOs in new countries and contexts. LEI, based in Edinburgh – Scotland, supports all project, M&E, fundraising, finance and governance activities in our four sub-Saharan partner countries.
The 3rd goal of Link Education International ‘2020-2030 Strategy’ focuses on ‘Promoting Education in Emergencies’ with focus on designing EiE responses that include: children’s voices; are relevant and context-appropriate; based on rapid and up-to-date assessment tools; supported by community leadership (which are in turn strengthened to prepare and respond) with the final goal of upholding Education For All whilst responding to children and youth affected by conflict.
The EiE Project Manager will lead the planning, coordination and implementation of the EiE project’s activities in accordance with the project’s goal, objectives and implementation strategies.
Reporting to Link Education International Country Representative, the EiE Project Manager will also work in consultation with Link Education International’s Ethiopia – Technical Advisor, and in collaboration with teachers, PTA members, school administrators, Regional, Zonal, and Woreda education experts, representatives of IDPs and/or returnees, and all the stakeholders involved in the EiE Project by orienting, training and encouraging them to assess and analyze their education needs, plan, design and implement pertinent action, as well as monitor and evaluate outcomes.
INDICATIVE AREAS OF KEY RESPONSIBILITIES
- Ensure that the EiE Project is implemented in accordance with objectives, implementation strategies, frameworks and schedules by prioritizing assignments effectively, executing tasks critically and recommending improvements timely.
- Engage, mentor and motivate learners, teachers, PTA members, school administrators, Regional, Zonal, and Woreda education experts, representatives of IDPs and/or returnees, and all the stakeholders involved in the EiE Project by orienting, training and encouraging them to assess and analyze their education needs, plan, design and implement pertinent action, monitor and evaluate outcomes, be accountable for their assigned work.
- Lead and guide the organization, coordination and implementation of project activities such as regular education need assessment, routine formative supervision of teachers, supply of emergency learning and teaching materials, trainings in psycho-social support and life skills, awareness-raising campaigns as well as the formulation of an Emergency & Integration Response Framework.
- Review/adjust psycho-social support and life skills training materials as well as awareness-raising campaigns messages, with the support of the EiE Education Officer and LEI’s Ethiopia – Technical Advisor.
- Supervise the construction/rehabilitation of child-learning friendly spaces, ensuring the involvement of local communities to guarantee democratic ownership and participation in the EiE Project implementation.
- Manage the project budget by forecasting requirements, scheduling expenditures, planning procurements, preparing activity, monthly and quarterly budgets in collaboration with the EiE Finance and Administration Officer.
- Compile monthly and quarterly reportsdescribing project activities, achievements, challenges and results.
- Monitor and report on project activities by providing relevant information in collaboration with the EiE MEAL Officer.
- Regularly attend the national Education Cluster meetings as well as the regional ones, and actively follow up the emergency response action pointsin coordination with the Cluster members.
- Maintain own technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reading professional publications and participating in professional forums.
- Carry out any other duties assigned by LEI – Ethiopia Country Representative.
Contract Type: Fixed Term – From 6 to 12 months, based on project’s duration, with possibility of extension
Reporting to: Link Education International – Ethiopia Country Representative
Location: To be confirmed as per donor’s requirements, most likely Amhara, Afar, Somali, Gambella, Benishangul Gumuz and Oromia
EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- BSc/MSc/MA in Education and/or Social Sciences and/or Development Studies and/or any other area that can bring an added value to the related job, preferably combined with a qualification in Project Management, and/or Education Management;
- At least 7 years of relevant work experience in similar type of engagement with an international or national NGO
- Experience in Education in Emergency and/or in delivery of projects in emergency settings;
- Good MS Office application skills including MS-Word, MS-Excel and Power-Point
- Excellent report-writing skills
- Excellent coordination and time management skills
- Ability to bring out the best in, build, and support a team towards shared goals
- Good communication in English and Amharic
- Good interpersonal and team skills
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Sympathy with the aims and objectives of Link
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action;
- Commitment to Link’s Safeguarding and gender policies;
- Strong experience of Safeguarding, gender and inclusion in education programming.
- Knowledge of INEE – Minimum Standards for Education in Emergency
- Experience of building emergency preparedness, response and recovery into education programming
How to Apply
Please do notice that this recruitment is based on funding availability to preposition Link Education Ethiopia into the current and upcoming EiE response so to enable the prompt implementation of the same by having ready to deploy EiE staff.
- Please fill in Link’s Application Form which you can find on Link Education International’s website here: https://linkeducation.org.uk/work-with-us/ and submit the Application Form to: email@example.com ; copying: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “EiE Project Manager – Job Application”;
- The closing date for applications is January, 4 2022
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview. Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified.
Female candidates and persons with disability are strongly encouraged to apply!