Head of Division- Health Systems, Diseases and Nutrition
Date: Aug 16, 2022
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all • Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality • Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Director, Health and Humanitarian Affairs
Directorate/Department : Health and Humanitarian Affairs
Division : Health Systems, Diseases and Nutrition
Number of Direct Reports: 4
Number of Indirect Reports: 6
Number of Positions: 1
Job Grade: P5
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa,Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic leadership in the designing of strategies and policies for the efficient running of the directorates activities .
• Supervises and manages the employees of the division with regard to organisation and performance evaluation.
• Manages the work of the Division and supervise direct reports to ensure their effective performance as per organization’s performance management policy and system;
• Designs strategies and policies consistent with the Department’s goal in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Contributes to the development of the departmental business continuity plan and ensure implementation at division level;
• Manages risk within the division and recommend mitigation strategies
• Designs and plans policy programs to achieve the strategies;
• Develops new and review activities as components of the strategies and policies;
• Addresses problems in arising to current approaches to relevant area.
• Engages stakeholders within Members States and RECs in designing and implementing strategies;
• Represents the organisation and explain its position at conferences;
• Mobilises funding from all donors to use to execute strategies and activities.
• Contributes to the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and monitor budget execution at Division level.
• Initiates the formulation of polices, programs and strategies related to Health System, Disease, Population, and Nutrition at the continental and in monitoring their implementation within Member States.
• Sets the direction of the division strategic interventions, plans, priorities and workflows as well as facilitate communication and cooperation between the division and other divisions and department.
• Analyses and monitors all aspects of Health, including but not limited Health System, Disease, Population and Nutrition and provide expertise, policy advice and technical leadership within the department.
• Advocates for and sensitize Member States on commitments of Heads of State and Government to Health including but not limited to Health System, diseases, population and Nutrition
• Promotes, coordinates and harmonises the programs and activities of the sectors/units within the division and with relevant departments in the commission.
• Study and analyse problem situations and major trends in health in Africa and plan and harmonize related issues and program on Member States and as well as global commitments in relation to programs areas within the division.
• Represents the departments in activities related to health and report back on issues discussed and action required.
• Assists the director in enhancing the cooperation and collaboration with relevant department of the commission, Member States, Un agencies, AU partners, specialized institutions, Non-Governmental Organizations and Civil Society Organization and other relevant organization
• Promotes African and other international and regional cooperation in collaboration with Member States, RECs and inter- Governmental Organizations, NGOs particularly in implementation of AU decisions and Au plan of action.
• Coordinates and monitors the implementation of the Africa Health Strategy and Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Plan for Africa and the AU Plan of Action on Violence Prevention in Africa;
• Ensures the management of the division including personal issues, performance, quality assurance and budget managements.
• Prepares programs budget and proposal, project and funding proposal related to the division
• Monitors operational activities and program implementation in term of expenditure and substance and prepare progress reports with recommendation for corrective action to the director when necessary
• Prepares and Manages ministerial conferences and meetings and other high level meetings and other activities including prepare of documents and reports.
• Prepares and submits periodical reports on activities including specific missions and progress reports on the implementation of various policies instruments and decisions, Health policy and health system reforms, traditional medicine , diseases, Nutrition and population
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in Public Health, Health Sciences, Health System Nutrition or related field of studies with twelve (12) years, Seven (7) of which should have been obtained at managerial level and 4 years at supervisory level.
• Ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
• Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
• Ability to develop and delegate clear program goals, plans and actions, including budgets, that are consistent with agreed strategies
• Communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages, fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Foster Accountability Culture:
Communicating with impact:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
Drive for Results
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than September 19, 2022.
Requisition ID: 1329
Follow us on:
Subscribe and Follow us via Email
If you have any comment regarding this article contact us at email@example.com