AU JOBS: Head of Division Science, Technology and Space
Date: Jun 14, 2023
Deadline: July 14, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Director, Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Directorate/Department/Organ: Education, Science, Technology and Innovation
Division: Science Technology and Space
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 2
Job Grade: P5
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic and technical leadership for the Science, Technology, and Space Division of the AU Commission.
• Supervises and manages the work of the Division to ensure its effectiveness.
• Designs strategies and policies to address the pertinent issues, challenges related to current practices in relevant areas .
• Contributes to the development of business continuity plans and oversees expansion and development of new and existing activities and ensures their implementation.
• Ensures risk management and mitigation as well as monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of the programs;
• Engages stakeholders within Members States, Regional Economic Communities (RECs) and Development Partners in designing and implementing strategies;
• Represents the AU in bi-lateral, multi-lateral and global engagements .
• Mobilises funds from donors and allocates them towards the implementation of strategies and activities of the division.
• Prepares periodic financial and program implementation reports and monitors budget execution.
• Formulates appropriate policies, strategies and action plans for development programmes, and project proposals at continental level in line with Science, Technology and Innovation Strategy (STISA), the Space Policy and Strategy and other related strategies to contribute to the African Union Agenda 2063.
• Promotes intra-African and international cooperation in the area of STI and Space development for mutual benefit, through diplomacy, networks, including diaspora.
• Promotes knowledge sharing and ensuring a strong African position.
• Liaises with other African Union Commission Units and Directorates for programmatic synergies and quality assurance in science, technology,innovation and Space, to maximise impact and elimination of overlaps and duplication ;
• Provides policy support to strengthen alignment of regional STI and Space agenda in close collaboration with the RECs in order to effectively support Member States;
• Mobilises financial and technical resources with accountable management to support science, technology, innovation, and space programmes.
• Ensures overall management of Science, Technology, Innovation and Space Division (M&E, budgeting, reporting, recruitment, supervision, procurement etc.)
• Ensures production of working documents and draft decision in Science and Technology, Innovation and Space for the STC-EST and the AU relevant Policy Organs.
• Performs any other duties that may be assigned by the Commission.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree in Science, or other closely related fields, with twelve (12) years of postgraduate work experience of which a minimum of seven (7) years must have been served at a managerial level and five (5) years at supervisory level.
• Proven experience in assessing, monitoring, and evaluating Research and Development programmes will be an added advantage.
• Certification in Project Management from recognized institutions will be an added advantage.
• Managerial skills, political tactfulness and supervisory skills to achieve documented objectives.
• Ability to initiate and promote collaborative approaches between geographically and culturally disparate partners
• Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations both internally and externally
• Ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff
• Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (French, English, Portuguese, Arabic); fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Communicating with impact:
Foster Accountability Culture:
Drive for result:
Job Knowledge and information sharing:
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 50,746.00 (P5 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be submitted no later than July 14, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 1563
Follow us on:
Subscribe and Follow us via Email
If you have any comment regarding this article contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org