African Union Jobs: Principal Science Officer (AfCDC)
Date: Oct 27, 2023
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Shari
Reports to: Head, Science and Innovation
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division : Science and Innovation
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P4
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Fixed term
Location: Addis Ababa
Purpose of Job
The Principal Science Officer is responsible for establishing the ethical and technical frameworks and procedures under-pinning the scientific activities of the agency, advising other agency leaders on integrating these frameworks and processes into activities and programmes and facilitating related staff training and compliance to established scientific protocols.
The Principal Science Officer position involves the following main functions that are generally applicable for this category:
• Take technical and intellectual lead in the management of various elements related to the area of expertise
• Identify best practices and monitor effectiveness of the Office’s support to Africa CDC.
• Provide support in the development of the strategies and business continuity plan and participate in/ensure their implementation
• Foster and ensure implementation of initiatives related to area of specialization;
• Provide support in the organization of thematic networks, consultations and meetings on development cooperation and international relations.
• Develop materials and provide necessary training and support to Organization Units as required.
• Provide technical guidance on matters relating to system review and implementation project in area of specialization, as required.
• Provide advice on scientific quality assurance programmes, such as project peer review procedures, human subject protocols, assures research projects are closed out in compliance with agency procedures and monitors other agency procedures related to ensuring quality science in research activities.
• Support Africa CDC Chief Scientist to initiate and coordinate scientific and technical research projects in collaboration with Member States and international partners through Africa RCCs.
• Provide long-range plans, advise the Africa CDC Chief Scientist to direct and evaluate the agency’s research and professional programmes for the development of scientific personnel, developing policy for strengthening staff and scientific expertise and for facilitating collaborative activities within the agency, across RCC’s and their constituent organizations.
• Support the implementation of Africa CDC policies to establish or strengthen existing Infectious Diseases (HIV, TB, Malaria,, etc.) surveillance and control programs in Member States.
• Support activities under the Division of Infectious Disease Control and Prevention by carrying out a variety of services and programmatic activities in the area of Infectious Diseases epidemiology and surveillance and related public health programme.
• Liaise with donors, partners and other stakeholders to ensure communication on Infectious Disease activities and explore potential synergies with other ongoing projects and support development and implementation of strategy to raise profile and scale.
• Support the monitoring and evaluation of Infectious Disease prevention and control programmes implemented by the Division of Infectious Disease Control and Prevention.
• Conduct needs assessments such as desktop reviews and interviews with African Member States to determine the level of implementation of any existing control and prevention programmes on the African continent.
• Work with Member States to strengthen health management information systems to improve Africa CDC’s Infectious Disease health-related data through coordination, collaboration, and technical assistance.
• Undertake any other duties/responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Candidates must have a Master degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Science, Health-Services Research and ten (10) years of experience in supporting and/or leading public health or public health research programmes out of which six (6) and three (3) years need to be at managerial and supervisory levels respectively.
• Candidates must have a University Bachelor’s degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Science, Health-Services Research and twelve (12) years of experience in supporting and/or leading public health or public health research programmes, out of which six (6) and three years should be at expert and supervisory level.
• Strong scientific management and technical expertise related to all applicable functional areas
• Expert knowledge and relevant experience in management of epidemiology, health services or outcomes research within a government agency or academic institution or research organization within a public health context. Applicable and relevant private-sector experience within a research organization or life-sciences company will also be considered.
• Demonstrated expertise in public health and/or clinical outcomes research (such as, but not limited to, retrospective or prospective case-control and cohort studies, observational studies, clinical-economic modeling and analysis, /meta-analysis), including interpreting statistical analysis and reporting of research outcomes is required.
• Experience in leading public health, epidemiology and outcomes research in different geographic regions, particularly in Africa, is highly desirable.
• Broad experience in collaborating with research and program partners and in managing multiple tasks and complex projects is expected.
• Demonstrated experience and proven ability to effectively serve and represent organizational scientific interests as a member of a scientific review committee, study group, public health task group, or comparable groups delegated responsibility for reviewing and developing public health scientific policies, procedures and guidelines.
• Familiarity and practical experience with implementing public health research and programs linked to One Health strategies.
• Mastery of the theories, concepts, principles, practices, methods and techniques of public health program administration and other aspects of the field of public health in order to resolve especially difficult and critical questions, problems and issues that may not be resolved by traditional methods;
• Mastery of a wide range of qualitative and/or quantitative methods for the assessment and improvement of program effectiveness or the improvement of complex management processes and systems;
• Expert knowledge of the principles, concepts, methods and techniques used in the field of international/national public health in order to analyze, evaluate and provide expert advice and consultation in planning, developing and enhancing scientific research and program delivery;
• Record of high-quality, peer-reviewed epidemiology and/or outcomes research publications is required. Experience in training and mentoring staff in the peer-review publication process is highly desirable;
• Ability to identify and quantify requirements to support public health initiatives;
• Comprehensive knowledge of strategic planning and evaluation processes;
• Proven ability to work collaboratively and lead effectively in a multicultural and cross -functional team environment;
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and by writing, program goals, and objectives, including scientific justification of research and programs and specific requirements;
• Demonstrated ability with regard to computer skills, including office administration and statistical software applications and online digital information systems.
• Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) is required. Knowledge of one or more of the other AU working languages would be an added advantage.
Accountable and Complies with Rules..
Learning Orientation ….
Communicating with Influence ….
Conceptual thinking ….
Job Knowledge and Information Sharing ….
Drive for Result ….
Continuous improvement orientation ….
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The Appointment will be made on a fixed term contract for a period of one (1) year, of which the first three (3) months will be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract may be renewed for a similar period subject to funding availability, satisfactory performance and agreed deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary attached to the position is an annual lump-sum of US$ 110,951.49 (P4 Step 5) inclusive of all allowances for internationally recruited staff, and US$ 92,867.97 inclusive of all allowances for locally recruited staff of the African Union Commission.
Applications must be submitted no later than November 27, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
-Candidates from less represented countries within the African Union are strongly encouraged to apply for positions that fit their profiles. These countries include Algeria, Angola, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Comoros, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Sahrawi D.R., Sao Tome and Principe., Seychelles, Somalia and Tunisia.
Requisition ID: 2027
Follow us on:
Subscribe and Follow us via Email
If you have any comment regarding this article contact us at email@example.com