Director – Strategic Planning & Delivery | African Union
Date: Nov 24, 2021
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union Commission – AUC
• Respect for Diversity and Team Work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Chairperson of the Commission
Directorate: OSPD (Office of Strategic Planning and Delivery)
Number of Direct Reports: 2
Number of Indirect Reports: 34
Job Grade: D1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
To provide strategic direction and leadership in managing the operations of the of Strategic Planning and Delivery Directorate in order to achieve the AU strategic objectives and goals.
• Develops and executes the overall strategy for the department and ensures alignment with overall organizational strategy;
• Manages and supervises employees within the directorate, ensures the timely delivery of the directorate’s goals and effective staff performance evaluation;
• Drives the implementation and monitoring of policies, strategies and programs to contribute to the effective implementation of relevant AU Policy Organs Decisions;
• Ensures the delivery of the directorate’s annual targets in line with the organization’s overall goals and maintains robust departmental monitoring and evaluation systems;
• Provides technical leadership and ensures efficient functioning of all Divisions within the department/directorate;
• Manages the work of the Department/Directorate and supervises direct reports to ensure their effective performance in line with the organization’s performance management policy and system;
• Leads the directorate/department and ensures effective management of personnel, budget, performance, program quality, employee relations matters and training in conformity with relevant rules, policies and procedures;
• Builds and maintains good working relations and collaboration with other directorates/departments;
• Develops and maintains regular working relations with senior stakeholders in Member State and partner institution;
• Coordinates meetings between the organization and relevant partners;
• Ensures the preparation of periodic financial and budget execution reports and other reports;
• Ensures the effective management of funds contributed to the organization, attributed to the directorate/department;
• Implements and Maintains thematic partnerships in support of the mandate of the Directorate;
• Develops and oversees policy development and guidelines in line with the organization’s legal framework;
• Designs policies consistent with the AU’s strategic goals and mandate in order to address the pertinent issues in the relevant area;
• Prepares and oversees integrated programs, projects and overall activities of the organization.
• Maintains a positive work environment that facilitates collaboration and information sharing and is conducive to attracting, retaining, and motivating diverse talent.
• Develops and maintains standard operating procedures (SOP’s) for the department
• Manages risks, develops mitigation measures and ensures business continuity of the department/directorate
• Oversees the development, implementation and delivery of AU-wide long term and medium-term strategic plan, or other continental frameworks of the Commission, consistent with the African Union Agenda 2063;
• Coordinates and follow up the implementation of Agenda 2063 ten years’ implementation plans.
• Provides strategic guidance to the AUC and other Organs of the Union
• Fosters institutionalization of Results oriented culture within the union
• Monitors and evaluates the implementation of the strategy across the Union.
• Builds continental and global partnerships.
• Ensures overall efficient and effective management of the department
• Contributes to the overall work of the Commission by playing an effective role in the Senior Management Team of the BCP.
• Promotes AUC’s role as African think tank through evidence-based policy research.
• Ensures the formulation of Agenda 2063 and engages in domestication in Member States’ National Plans; alignment of strategic plans of AUC Departments, Organs and RECS with the FTYIP;
• Ensures the formulation of the directorates action plan, strategic plan and budget
• Ensures the preparation of mid-year and annual narrative and financial reports on the status of the implementation of Agenda 2063 within the Union, Regional Economic Communities and Member States
• Facilitates the mid-term evaluation and the end of the Agenda 2063 Implementation plans.
• Leads in the consultancy and feasibility studies of Agenda 2063 projects
• Attends technical and strategic meetings of the AU
• Any other assignment attributed by his/her direct supervisor
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• A University Master’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Finance, , Monitoring and Evaluation, Management or any related field with fifteen (15) years of experience in strategic planning, monitoring and evaluation in national, regional or international organisations, out of which eight (8) years should be at managerial level and 5 (five) years at supervisory level .
• Membership of relevant professional body is an added advantage.
• Results monitoring and reporting
• Communication and presentation skills
• Knowledge in the use of Microsoft office tools
• Knowledge and understanding of data analysis and statistics
• Knowledge and understanding of financial management and budgeting systems in public international organisations Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Strategic PerspectiveDeveloping OthersDriving ChangeManaging Risk
Building PartnershipsDrives Accountability CultureLearning OrientationCommunicating with impact
Building RelationshipsResponsibilityLearning OrientationCommunicating with impact
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 78,138.00 (D1 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Applications must be made not later than 24 December 2021
Requisition ID: 857
214 total views, 1 views today