Applications Open for Fifth Annual $100,000 GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize Competition
Youth-led African agrifood businesses are back in the spotlight as Generation Africa rolls out the 2023 edition of the Gogettaz Agripreneur Prize Competition.
By identifying and supporting innovative, high-potential agribusinesses, Generation Africa aims to inspire millions of youths to pursue a career in the fast-evolving agrifood sector. The organisation’s support efforts continue to grow and include a bespoke Generation Africa Fellowship Programme (GAFP), specially curated scholarship opportunities, advocacy platforms and more.
With top mentors, a network of global industry leaders, and a growing community, the GoGettaz Agripreneur Prize Competition seeks to fast-track the growth of agribusinesses with the potential to ensure food security and provide dignified employment.
- After the semi-final process, twelve finalists will be invited to pitch their businesses to a panel of expert judges. Finalists will also be given facilitated access to the AGRF Agribusiness Deal Room to grow their network with potential investors, partners, and collaborators.
- The award ceremony will also take place at the AGRF Summit. Beyond the two US$50,000 grand prizes, additional Impact Awards of US$2,500 each will be awarded to four innovative businesses who make a positive social and environmental impact by contributing to climate-preneurship, food security, poverty reduction, and/or job creation in their communities.
- The competition is open to all African agripreneurs between the ages of 18 and 35, who are the founders or co-founders of innovative and scalable agrifood businesses.
- Applicants must be citizens of an African country, and their business headquarters must be in Africa.
- This year the top GoGettaz agripreneurs will travel to the AGRF Summit which is being held in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.
- The Entrepreneur
- Entrepreneur is aged 35 or below on the date of submission to the competition, and is legally recognized as an adult in country of nationality.
- Entrepreneur holds nationality (with an official ID) from a country which is a member of the African Union.
- Entrepreneur is the founder/co-founder of the venture he/she represents in the competition and plays an active role in its operations and leadership.
- Entrepreneur has no criminal record related to corruption, tax evasion, financial impropriety, felony or other offense, and will provide a signed declaration to that effect, if requested.
- The Venture
- Venture is already legally registered in a country which is a member of the African Union or will have commenced with the registration of such a legal entity prior to June 1, 2023.
- Venture is headquartered in a country which is a member of the African Union.
- Venture is designed to be financially sustainable, either as a for-profit business or a non-profit generating some revenue and aiming not to be dependent on donor funding.
- Venture plays a role in the agri-food sector and/or supports the development of the agri-food sector through an innovation or process improvement.
- The agri-food sector may be defined as businesses including:
- Agri-food research and development.
- Primary food production (farming).
- Crop nutrition.
- Mechanization, automation or robotics, including drones.
- Crop protection.
- Hydroponics or urban farming.
- Transport, distribution, storage or logistics.
- Food processing.
- Packaging or marketing.
- Food retail or service.
- Waste management or recycling.
- Digital or technology solutions/services to the agri-food sector.
- Innovative finance solutions/services to the agri-food sector.
- Renewable energy or environmental solutions/services to the agri-food sector.
An expert jury will review all applications, considering the following criteria:
- Innovation (20%)
- Market potential and traction (20%)
- Social and Environmental Impact (20%)
- Business model (20%)
- Founder and team (20%)
For more information, visit Generation Africa.
Follow us on:
Subscribe and Follow us via Email
If you have any comment regarding this article contact us at email@example.com