Sudan death toll in biggest anti-coup protest rises
The death toll in Sudan has risen to nine following protests against military rule.
Doctors said many of the victims had been shot as security forces confronted large crowds in multiple cities.
According to medical staff, the security forces attempted to storm hospitals where some of the injured were being treated.
The protesters barricaded roads, waved placards and chanted slogans calling on the military to leave power.
Police used tear gas, water cannon and live ammunition as they tried to block the swelling crowds from marching towards the presidential palace in the capital, Khartoum.
Many more were injured and taken to hospitals in Khartoum and neighbouring city of Omdurman.
Earlier, internet and telephone services were cut off as the authorities attempted to stop the online mobilisation of protesters.
Protests erupted in Sudan last October after the military toppled a civilian-led transitional government.
Thursday’s protests were the largest to be held in the country since the coup.
They coincided with the third anniversary of huge demonstrations that overthrew long-time autocratic ruler Omar al-Bashir and led to a power-sharing arrangement between civilian groups and the military.
Military leaders have said they will hand power to an elected civilian government, but peace talks to end the political crisis have stalled with no clear route for the transition to civilian rule.
Follow us on:
Subscribe and Follow us via Email
If you have any comment regarding this article contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org